Bitter gourd fry, when prepared thoughtfully, offers numerous health benefits. Bitter gourd, also known as bitter melon, is a low-calorie vegetable rich in essential vitamins, particularly vitamin C and A, as well as minerals like potassium and iron. It is renowned for its potent antioxidants, such as flavonoids and polyphenols, which may contribute to reducing oxidative stress and inflammation in the body. Bitter gourd is also known for its potential to regulate blood sugar levels, making it a valuable addition to diets aimed at managing diabetes. Furthermore, its high fiber content aids digestion, promotes gut health, and may help in weight management by promoting a feeling of fullness. The inclusion of bitter gourd fry in a well-balanced diet can be a flavorful way to harness these health benefits and support overall well-being.
- 2 medium-sized bitter gourds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp rice flour
- 1 tbsp red chili powder
- 2 tbsp gram flour
- ½ tbsp cumin powder
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp Salt
Prepare the Bitter Gourd:
- Wash the bitter gourds thoroughly and pat them dry.
- Cut the bitter gourds into thin rounds or semi-circles, depending on your preference.
- Remove the seeds if you prefer a milder taste.
- In a mixing bowl, toss the bitter gourd slices with olive oil, rice flour, red chili powder, gram flour, cumin powder, and salt. Ensure that the bitter gourd slices are well-coated with the seasoning.
Preheat the Air Fryer:
- Preheat your air fryer to 375°F (190°C) for about 5 minutes.
- Place the seasoned bitter gourd slices in a single layer in the air fryer basket. Make sure not to overcrowd to allow even cooking.
- Air fry at 375°F (190°C) for about 15-20 minutes, shaking the basket or flipping the slices halfway through the cooking time. The bitter gourd should become crisp and golden brown.
- Once the bitter gourd fry is done, remove it from the air fryer and let it cool for a few minutes.
- Serve the crispy bitter gourd fry as a side dish with rice or enjoy it as a healthy snack.