How to use an electric rice cooker?
An electric rice cooker or a rice pot is a simple device that helps you boil rice for your meals. With this kitchen gadget by your side, you need not worry about overboiling, burning the food or even undercooking it. Preferred by beginners and professionals alike, an electric rice cooker cooks food for 1- 6 people (sometimes even more) in about 20-30 minutes. Although the time taken to cook slightly varies on the type of rice used, rest assured when the rice is cooked it is ready to eat and tastes heavenly.
Without further ado, let's understand how to work one's way around an electric cooker.
Should You Buy an Electric Rice Cooker? What are some of the electric cooker uses?
The short answer is, yes! An electric cooker can prove to be an asset in so many ways. If you are someone who loves to eat home-cooked meals one way to ensure that is to get home an electric cooker and use it to boil rice and use the spare time to make gravies, curries or stir-fry veggies. If you are a student or an adult who can’t make time to cook rice in a microwave or the stove, an electric cooker is a great investment. It not only cooks the food on time, but it also ensures that the rice is fluffed, cooked correctly and tastes flavourful.
How to use a rice cooker?
Modern rice cookers are an excellent addition to your kitchen. The auto shut-off gets activated when the food is cooked and the ‘keep warm’ feature of the cooker keeps your food soft and warm. If you are still wondering how to cook rice in cooker, follow the steps below to learn the best way to cook rice:
1. Take a measuring cup and add 1 cup of rice. Pour the same into the cooker.
2. Simply rinse the rice with water about 1-2 times to remove the husk, dirt or the excess starch.
3. Now add one cup of water to the bowl and place the lid on top of the cooker and start the electric cooker. Note that some types of rice such as long rice, and brown rice may require you to add rice and water in the ratio of 1:2, but in most cases, a 1:1 measurement of rice and water should suffice.
4. Switch the electric cooker on and wait for 20-25 minutes. When the rice is cooked the electric cooker will let out a beep or ring to notify you.
5. The rice is now kept warm using the ‘keep warm' feature of the rice cooker. You can either immediately consume the rice or wait for about 15 minutes for the water to evaporate entirely before consumption.
Does Troubleshooting occur during cooking rice?
Generally, rice cookers are quite simple to use, however, if you do face any troubleshooting, here is what you can do.
1. If the rice is overcooked or burnt during cooking, then make sure that you do not keep it in the keep warm feature for a long duration. Additionally, do not cook rice along with other ingredients or veggies as different foods cook at different temperatures, this may cause either of them to burn.
2. On the other hand, if the rice is undercooked then, add a little more water, put back the lid and let it cook for a little more time.
3. If you have cooked more quantity of rice than desired, you can always refrigerate it and use it for the next meal. Excess rice can also be made into sweets and desserts.
Uses of the rice cooker to cook other foods
Now that we have resolved the query of ‘how to use an electric rice cooker,’ let us see what all items can be cooked using an electric cooker.
1. Cook grains easily- You can cook grains such as millets, barley, quinoa, and farro easily on an electric cooker. You might have to add twice the amount of water or more depending upon the grain, but the food gets cooked very well.
2. Cook oats- Oatmeals are one of the healthiest food items. You can soak oats overnight in the cooker and cook them first thing in the morning! Not only will you be consuming a nutritious breakfast, but you will also be able to save time during the rush hours of the morning.
3. Boil eggs- Electric cooker can also be used to boil eggs. Simply add eggs and water into the cooker and wait for 10-15 minutes for the eggs to cook completely.
How to cook rice in a cooker? Are there any special tips to follow?
Cooking rice in an electric cooker is a simple task. If you are cooking multiple items, it is always recommended to boil rice in the electric cooker and forget about it. The rice will keep cooking in one corner of the kitchen and would have ample time to cook the rest of the dishes.
It is also important to remember that different rice cookers come with different capacities. Before making your purchase, remember how many people you need to cook for, whether you host regularly and then buy the cooker accordingly.
An electric rice cooker is an important part of every household. Especially for those who love to eat home-cooked meals, it is definitely a boon. It can be operated by children and adults alike and is a great investment for every home. In addition to eating healthy, it is also important to stay hydrated. Drinking 4-6 litres of water daily improves digestion and keeps our gut strong. Buying water bottles that remind you when to drink water every day can be a simple change you can bring to your life to start living healthy.