How to Boil Potatoes in a Cooker
Potatoes are an integral part of our cooking. Whether it is Indian, Mediterranean or any other cuisine, potatoes enhance the flavor of the food and improve the taste. Contrary to the popular belief, boiling potatoes is not as simple as it looks. Without proper precautions, you may end up overboiling the potatoes or undercooking them.
To avoid this issue altogether, take a look at a foolproof method to boil potatoes.
How to boil potatoes in the cooker properly?
Boiling potatoes in a pressure cooker is quite easy and quick. All you need to complete this procedure is a pressure cooker, some water, salt if needed and potatoes. The total time taken to cook the potatoes is 10-12 minutes and the results are as desired. One way to use boiled potatoes is in the form of a curry. You can easily cook rice to go along with it in an electric cooker and savour them together as a meal.
Steps to take to boil potatoes
1. First, take a medium to large-size cooker and add one liter of water into it. The potatoes must be submerged in water.
2. Then, add the potatoes into the cooker. Some people may prefer adding a pinch of salt if needed.
3. Now, seal the cooker tightly and wait for the whistles to come.
4. It takes about 2 whistles for the potatoes to fully boil. After two whistles, shut off the stove and let the potatoes stay in the cooker until the entire pressure goes away.
5. Now, slowly remove the lid and check if the potatoes are boiled. To do this, simply take a knife and poke one of the boiled potatoes in the cooker, if it easily slides then, it means that the potatoes are boiled. If not, put the lid back and let it boil for another whistle.
6. When the potatoes are completely boiled, run them under cold water and peel of the skin easily. Then use them to cook your dish accordingly.
How many minutes to boil potatoes in a microwave?
Another way to easily cook a potato is using a microwave. To boil potatoes in a microwave follow the steps below.
1. Cut the potatoes and place them in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Add water in the bowl until the potatoes are covered. You may also add a pinch of salt if desired.
3. Place the bowl in the microwave and set the timer for about 5 minutes.
4. When the timer stops, slowly remove the bowl and poke a knife into the potato to check if it's boiled as desired. If so, wash them under cold water, peel the skin and use the potatoes in your cooking.
5. If the potatoes are still not boiled, you may boil them in the microwave for a couple of more minutes.
How many whistles to boil potatoes?
Generally potatoes that are small in size or cut into pieces take about 10-15 minutes to boil in a pressure cooker, when we allow it to boil with 2 whistles. However, if the size of the potatoes is too large it may even take about 20-25 minutes for them to boil and cool down.
What type of potatoes are generally good to buy?
Potatoes can generally be bought throughout the year. While choosing potatoes to buy, look for the ones that are smooth, decent in shape, do not have roots coming out of them, and are not shriveled in size. Potatoes can be stored for long durations and used for any type of cooking. It is important to store potatoes in a cool dry place but not in a refrigerator.
How many types of potatoes are there?
Essentially there are three types of potatoes based on their starch content. The level of starch makes them look different from one another and others and decides what dishes the potatoes are best suited for.
Low-starch potatoes: These potatoes are called Round Red, Round White and New Potatoes or Waxy Potatoes. They stand firm and retain their shape during boiling. They can be used for salads.
Medium-starch potatoes: These potatoes include varieties like Yellow Finn and Yukon Gold. They contain high moisture and are good to use for salads, soups for mashing.
High-starch potatoes: These have light texture and are great for smashing. Russet or Idaho belong to the high-starch variety of potatoes.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to Boil Potatoes and Baby Potatoes In A Pressure Cooker?
You can boil baby potatoes the same way you boil potatoes in a cooker. It is a quick and simple recipe
2. How Many Whistles for Potatoes With Skin?
You can boil potatoes with and without the skin with 2 whistles. If you do not get the results in 2 whistles, you can close the lid and go for one more.
3. How to Boil Potatoes in a Pressure Cooker For Mashed Potatoes or Salad?
After you boil the potatoes in the manner shared above you can use it for any purpose. You could use it for curry, for mashed potatoes, patties, salad etc.
4. How many whistles for potatoes in pressure cooker Fries?
Ideally for french fries or fries of any kind we do not need to boil potatoes. You can cook it raw, however, if your recipe requires you to boil potatoes, you can use the recipe shared above.
Recommended Articles :