An air fryer uses the convection method to cook food by circulating hot air inside the air fryer. It can essentially cook anything from fries to meat and even make desserts. The air fryer uses little to no oil to cook food which makes it one of the safest cooking equipment out there. One thing to understand about the air fryers is that it is not microwave but essentially just like an oven, that whips up healthy meals for you. It is less messy as compared to traditional cooking methods and removes the need for deep frying food.
What are the Different Types of Air Fryers?
Air fryers usually come in a circular structure with a detachable basket placed in the bottom portion of the gadget. The top portion is where the presets or control panel is present. To use the air fryer, you need to pull out the basket, place the food items on the base of the basket and switch a preset on. Usually, air fryers have a capacity ranging from 1 to 5 quarts.
Some air fryers are available in larger sizes as well, these are boxier in style and are toaster ovens with an inbuilt convection frying features.
How do Air Fryers Work?
How an air fryer works is quite simple to learn.
- Place the food item in the air fryer basket. Depending on the size of your air fryer, place a sufficient quantity of food in the air fryer. Add a spoon of oil to the food.
- Set the temperature and cooking time.
- Now, wait for the food to cook. You can take a look at the food item to see if it has cooked properly, you can also flip the food item if need-based.
- After the food is cooked, serve it hot.
- It is important to properly clean the air fryer and the basket after cooking so that it is ready for the next round.
What to Remember While Cooking for the First Time in an Air Fryer?
It is important to clean the basket and perforated tray prior to the usage for the first time. Additionally, before you begin cooking in a new air fryer just start it off for about 10 minutes before any food item is placed into the basket, to put off any chemical smell emitted by a new appliance.
What are Some of the Tips to Keep in Mind Before Using an Air Fryer?
Cooking with an air fryer is quite simple. Here are a few tips that will help you with your cooking.
- Always cook while keeping the perforated tray placed in the basket.
- The food in an air fryer might even cook faster than your expectations. Always keep a check on the timer or feel free to adjust the temperature as per your needs.
- You might need to flip food items while cooking, so stay alert and be ready with a spatula.
- Properly position the basket before beginning the cooking process.
What Size Air Fryer Should I Buy?
The size of the air fryer frankly depends upon your budget, your preference for the size and the number of people you intend to cook for. While a 1-quart air fryer may only just be enough to cook for one person, a 5-quart air fryer serves 5-6 persons. So depending upon your spending capacity and the number of people in your family, choose the correct air fryer.
Should I Preheat an Air Fryer Before Cooking?
Honestly, if you are beginning to cook in an air fryer when it is cold, then it might take a couple of minutes more to cook the food. Unlike traditional ovens, air fryers do not require you to preheat for a long time, however, some brands do recommend it. If you are considering preheating the air fryer, do so only for a couple of minutes.
How Should I Clean the Air Fryer?
Air fryers are quite low maintenance. If you find that it is sufficient to clean it with a cloth, then do so after every use. However, if the air fryer looks greasy or oily in any way you can handwash the perforated tray and the basket or place them in a dishwasher (check if your air fryer is dishwasher safe).
What Kinds of Food can I Cook in an Air Fryer?
What is an air fryer used for generally is to fry items with little or no oil so you can cook foods that can cook in dry heat. French fries, veggies, meat, pizzas, frozen foods and desserts are just some of the items you can make in an air fryer.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I know if air-fried food is healthy?
An air fryer uses little to no oil to cook the food items, rest assured it is one of the healthiest ways of cooking your meals. It makes the food crisp and tasty as well as retains the flavour of the food.
2. What are the advantages and disadvantages of cooking in air fryers?
Air fryers aid in weight loss, do not use a lot of oil to cook food and are less messy to cook. However, on the flip side, you may feel not all food items can be cooked in an air fryer and sometimes the food takes too long to cook.
3. Is it worth it to get an air fryer home?
An air fryer is certainly a good investment for those who are looking for healthier cooking options. It can cook almost anything and uses very oil to cook crispy and tasty food.
In conclusion, air fryers are incredible to have in your kitchens. Not only are they easy to use and low on maintenance, but they are also safe to use and promote healthy cooking. There are tons of ways to use an air fryer, you can either cook using the presets available or customize your cooking experience. With the world moving towards nutritious and healthy meal plans, owning an air fryer will enhance your overall cooking experience.
Browse other interesting Recipes & Tips :